From: Reid Van Lehn (rvanlehn_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 11:36:54 CDT

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue compiling from source on Mac OS X. I was able to
successfully make the plugins directory using the instructions on the
website. I next configure a bare-bones installation using:

MACOSX OPENGL FLTK TK NETCDF TCL SILENT

as my flags. I have the FLTK, Tcl/Tk and NetCDF packages installed in
/vmd/lib, mimicking the set ups in the plugins/build.csh file.

However, when I run 'gmake' in the /vmd/src directory, make fails with a
number of errors in MolFilePlugin.c:

***********

Compiling MoleculeGraphics.C --> MoleculeGraphics.o ...
Compiling MolFilePlugin.c --> MolFilePlugin.o ...
In file included from MolFilePlugin.c:31:
MolFilePlugin.h:30: error: syntax error before ‘Molecule’
MolFilePlugin.h:30: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
MolFilePlugin.h:31: error: syntax error before ‘Timestep’
MolFilePlugin.h:31: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
MolFilePlugin.h:32: error: syntax error before ‘AtomSel’
MolFilePlugin.h:32: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
MolFilePlugin.h:33: error: syntax error before ‘Scene’
MolFilePlugin.h:33: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
MolFilePlugin.h:34: error: syntax error before ‘QMData’
MolFilePlugin.h:34: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
In file included from MolFilePlugin.c:31:
MolFilePlugin.h:42: error: syntax error before ‘MolFilePlugin’

plus many more, also in files utilities.h, Matrix4.h, QMData.h, and more

*************

Looking at the errors, it seems like a lot of the C++ keywords aren't being
recognized, and the origin of the errors are all tied to the
MolFilePlugin.c/.h and Molecule.h files. I've also tried following the
directions from
http://www.debianclusters.org/index.php/NAMD:_Building_vmdwith the
same results.

Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong? I can send more information
as needed.

Thank you!
Reid Van Lehn