From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 08:37:54 CDT

Hi,
  Did you verify that the .vmdinit file in the installation
directory is readable by a normal user? You might also check
that you don't have an empty .vmdrc sitting around in your
home directory. If neither of those is the problem, send me
the 'ls -al' output on your installation directory and I'll have
a quick look.