From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 22:07:03 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, I know (compute-exclusive), but since he didn't mention having
set the devices to anything but normal mode, I doubt this is the reason
he's encountering the problem.

I'm guessing that what is happening is that ACEMD is
getting a failed memory allocation if it is running at the moment
VMD goes through its startup memory allocation/clear/deallocation.

If it's just an issue of compute-exclusive mode, there are a number
of ways of dealing with it.

I haven't added code to VMD to allow a "gpu subset" to be specified thus
far, but it wouldn't be too hard to do so for people that want this
capability. I could probably implement such a feature in one of the
alpha VMD builds in a few days. I'm traveling off and on from
Wednesday until Monday, but I could probably have a new test build
with such a feature available shortly thereafter.

Cheers,
  John