From: Joshua Adelman (jla65_at_pitt.edu)
Date: Tue May 11 2010 - 07:26:58 CDT

Hi Sarah,

It is probably better to run namd from the command line and define your own configuration file since this will give you more control over what is going on.

First there is no relationship between the length of a simulation (how long it takes to run) and the number of frames. You could have a simulation that runs 500 steps and one that runs 50000 steps and both output 100 frames (the first write a frame every 5 steps, the second write a frame every 500 steps). Given the same system and simulation parameters, you would expect the later to take about 100 times longer. There is actual timing information in the log file.

As far as your problem with VMD displaying the results from the trajectory, it is difficult to diagnose what is going on without having the actual error message. When you say that VMD opens the files, do you actually see that it has loaded a molecule with the correct number of atoms and frames in the main VMD window? Are you able to open and display the solvated system? Make sure that the dcd file that you are trying to load has the same number of atoms as the psf file (i.e. don't load the dcd file from the simulation without water into the psf file of the system with water).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you provide more information in a concise and clear way, myself or someone else from the mailing list should be able to provide you with further assistance.

Josh