From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 17:36:45 CDT

Lorenzo,
  I made a 3 line change in the VMD source code force it to renormalize
normals given to us by 'draw' commands and that cured the problem with
your Situs file displaying badly.

Can you send an email to the Situs guys to let them know that it would
be best if they pre-normalized the surface normals before generating the
VMD script, for future versions? The forced-renormalization change will
be in the final version of VMD 1.8.1, so that should cure your problem
with this type of Situs output regardless whether they fix it in Situs
itself.

Regarding VMD's isosurface rep: I'm hoping to add smoothed surface
  normals to the isosurface rep (and various other improvements) in the
  next major version of VMD. For VMD 1.8.1 I didn't have time, but its
  on the list of things to improve.

Thanks,