From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 14:22:20 CDT

Dear Matthew,
  At present the appearance of the axes in VMD is hard-coded by compile-time
#ifdefs in the VMD source code. If you prefer the lines version of the axes
(found in the Mesa builds of VMD), you could change the source code and
recompile. I'll see about improving this in a future version of VMD,
but for now its a hard-coded compile-time choice. Let me know if you
are up for recompilation or not, its a fair bit of work..

Thanks,