From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2010 - 14:40:45 CST

Hi,
  Since PME is an inherently periodic calculation, it may be difficult to
prevent surfaces from extending across the periodic boundary. You could see
if drawing the surfaces with periodic images enabled gives you a better
image, this is done by enabling the check boxes in the "periodic" tab,
assuming that you've used the same periodic cell size for the PME calculation
in VMD and in your simulation. You can then use clipping planes to chop off
whatever parts you don't want shown. Beyond these suggestions, changing the
isovalue to select a more localized potential surface may also be helpful.