From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 22 2010 - 15:45:47 CST

Hi,
  Yes, you can do this, however since a DCD file must contain a
consistent set of atoms, you'll get atoms in the resulting file that
may have originally started within 5A and ultimately drift beyond that
point by the end of the trajectory. If you make no special effort to
create a selection that incorporates the "within 5" results for every
frame, you'll also get "holes" in your trajectory where you are missing
some of the atoms within the 5A distance. Depending on whether or not
this matters to you, you could either just use a "within" selection in the
File->Save Coordinates menu, subsequently writing a new trajectory, or
you could write a Tcl script that computes the set of all water atoms that
ever enter within 5A of the solute, and use those results to save out the
new trajectory.