From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 09 2010 - 09:44:00 CST

Ok,
  I think I've found the problem, or at least the problem that is affecting
my tests. Somehow, the saved viewmaster session is zeroing out the material
properties for the "Opaque" material. This leads to a "blank" screen and is the
root cause for why the thumbnails are all empty looking. In fact VMD is actually
drawing the geometry (I debugged this by rendering the scene with Tachyon and
looking at the scene file text to see what was doing on), but the geometry is shaded
black because the material properties got zeroed out. If you select the
Opaque material in the material window and click the "default" button, things
appear as they should (at least for me...)

I will see if I can figure out why this is occuring. If it is a bug in
the viewmaster plugin, then I'll have to send you a new version to use.

Cheers,
  John