From: Khaled Barakat (kbarakat_at_phys.ualberta.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 24 2010 - 14:44:45 CST

Hello,

I am trying to calculate the solvent accessible/excluded surface area (SASA and SESA) using MSMS for different probe
radii. I noticed that the SASA increases with increasing the probe radius, while the SESA decreases. My question is:
Does these results make sense?! I was expecting opposite results ( i.e. the SASA decreases with increasing the probe
radius, because a larger solvent molecule will not be able to touch the surface of the protein as much as a smaller solvent
molecule).

I will appreciate if someone can help me understand these results.

Thanks in advance.
Khaled

My numbers are:

Radius SASA SESA