From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 12:11:21 CST

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Dong Luo <us917_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> The text displayed in tk console is almost unreadable. Here is a snapshot showing what it looks like:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1727104/picture/VMD_TkConsole.jpg

> I've been tried to tweak the system font and searching around, but can't get this solved.

have you tried changing your locale or language settings
 (e.g. by running "export LC_ALL=C" in the terminal before you open VMD)?

most of these kind of font problems are actually due to misconfigured
native language support.

i can only strongly recommend to people that use computers for scientific work,
to configure them to use a "C" locale and thus bypass the whole NLS crap.
as convenient as it may seem in the beginning, there is nothing more
frustrating
than getting error messages sent to you in a gazillion different languages and
often rather badly translated (even in my own native language, many NLS error
messages i only understand by translating them word-by-word into english).

the font encoding related issues are often a side effect. but i have never
seen any of that happen in C locale (= no language, or encoding translation
at all).

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology