From: MyLinkka (mylinkka_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 06:05:53 CST

Hi Alex,

I'm confused. Why you think improper should be that different
from bond, angle and dihedral? It's just a out-of-plane
dihedral involving 4 connected atoms, isn't it?

see Figure 2.at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/topology/topology-html/node4.html
and
figure here: http://hidra.iqfr.csic.es/man/dlpoly/USRMAN/node50.html
and there clearly show the difference between dihedral and improper, I
think.

and more, the msi2lmp tool shipped with lammps also can produce improper
list
in the output lammps data file. I don't mean to compare them with topotools.
Just hope to make myself clear.

When I write here, I realize maybe there is some misunderstanding.
I didn't mean judge everything from ONLY the atom coordinates!
I know that's automatically done in VMD if the input file has only atom
positions but no bonding information there. What I want to say is
ONCE we have known the bonding info., we can derive angles, dihedrals
and impropers only based on the topology information. We don't have to
guess any more. Of course, not all the force fields has all parameters for
all impropers, or we can think the energy constant is zero.
Or if you say, bond, angle, dihedral or improper can include non-bonded
atoms, then distance based guess may be necessary. But this is not usual.

Ting