From: Ocar Campos (ocarnorsk138_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 10:14:50 CST

well but, making mistakes is the best way to learn things :P, everytime I
mess up my machine I end up learning A LOT of things when fixing it... at
least for me works that way, if people continue being afraid of using root
they will never progress in linux, from my point of view, but it is my point
of view... maybe you are right and people with no experience shouldn't play
with the superuser...

anyway

cheers!

O'car Campos C.
Bioinformatics Engineering Student.
University of Talca.
Chile.

2010/1/8 Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_gmail.com>

> [...]
> > all working in a terminal:
> >
> > 1.- Download VMD.
> >
> > 2.- Uncompress the tar.gz file, and place yourself in
> > the vmd folder, i.e.: cd vmd-1.8.6
> >
> > 3.- Execute the configuration file: ./configure
> >

> > 4.- Place yourself in the src folder: cd src
> > cd src
> > 5.- As root execute the make install: make install
> >

> > 6.- if you want to launch vmd from anywhere copy the
> > vmd bin to /usr/local/bin then in console write vmd
> > and it should launch anywhere.
> >
> > 7.- if ater copying the file doesn't work writting vmd
> > anywhere I think you should add /usr/local/bin to the
> > enviroment path.
> >

> > Hope this helps.
> >

> > Cheers.
> >
> > O'car Campos C.
> > Bioinformatics Engineering Student.
> > University of Talca.
> > Chile.
> >

> > 2010/1/2 John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu>
> >
> > Hi,
> > Can you be more specific about what problem
> > you're having after you
> > install? Any of the recent versions could
> > work, but I need to know what
> > problem you're experiencing in order to help
> > you solve it. What happens
> > if you run VMD in text mode via "vmd -dispdev
> > text"?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > John Stone
> > vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> >

> > On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 09:38:09AM +0530,
> > Prathit Chatterjee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > can anyone help me installing vmd in
> > linux. I have opensuse11.1 software
> > > version of linux. Also, I have windows xp
> > and I know that it is very
> > > simple to install linux in windows but
> > linux has other advantages. I tried
> > > several versions from the vmd download
> > link in my computer and tried to
> > > install it by reading the suggestions
> > given in the readme file. But, it is
> > > not working in the linux. So I want to
> > know the exact version of vmd for
> > > installing in the linux(opensuse 11.1)
> > > Thanking you,
> > >
> > > Prathit Chatterjee
> > > PhD Student
> > > Junior Research Fellow(CSIR)
> > > Computational Chemistry
> > > Electronic Structure Theory Group
> > > Under Dr. Neelanjana Sengupta(scientist)
> > > Centre for Materials Characterization
> > > National Chemical Laboratory
> > > Pune,411008

> > > The INTERNET now has a personality.
> > YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.
> >

> > --
> > NIH Resource for Macromolecular Modeling and
> > Bioinformatics
> > Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and
> > Technology
> > University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave,
> > Urbana, IL 61801
> > Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> > Phone: 217-244-3349
> > WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/> Fax:
> > 217-244-6078

> > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo!

akohlmey_at_gmail.com