From: Ocar Campos (ocarnorsk138_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 2010 - 06:48:56 CST

Prahit:

    I see you are a newcomer to linux, welcome!... those kind of errors are
because you are running the comands as a normal user, you should be
superuser or root to install some softwares that need to access some kind of
files so for installing vmd you must log as root, so in console you can
write:

> su

and then push enter, it will ask you the root password which it may be
different from your user password and then the prompt should say something
like:

root_at_linux-3qfw:

after this try with the commands I gave you and this should do the work...

O'car Campos C.
Bioinformatics Engineering Student.
University of Talca.
Chile.