From: Bogdan Costescu (Bogdan.Costescu_at_iwr.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 06:21:14 CST

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Rob wrote:

> (Note: when the "LANG" setting is changed, then somehow also all the
> other LC_* settings are getting the same value as LANG).

That's normal. From what I know, LANG was in use before the others,
but it was deemed insufficient to express more fine-grained regional
settings. F.e. LANG=en_US shouldn't necessarily mean that I want to
use 'legal' as my default paper format or '$' as my currency symbol.

> Do you understand this situation?
> Can you reproduce the bug on a 64bits system by modifying your own locale?

I had to do exactly this some years ago (~2004 if memory serves) on a
32bit system (CentOS) as well. So one can hope that time will provide
a fix for this on 64bit systems as well...

My observation: is not the locale by itself which is hurting, but the
interaction with an input method. I have recently set several
workstations with x86_64 Fedora 11, one of them for a Chinese
scientist who wanted to be able to also write Chinese characters. vmd
worked fine for all except him - and the locale is set the same, only
he has the extra input method set up (and the systems are
automatically installed with kickstart so they are identical).

Cheers,
Bogdan