From: Dallas Warren (dallas.warren_at_vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 17:06:30 CDT

John,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I also got a direct reply from someone using the 3DLab Wildcat VP870, they
are very happy with it, easy to use and install, and recommend it.

> I'm testing an ATI FireGL X1 card in one of our machines here.
>So far it seems to perform on par with the NVidia Ti 4600 cards on
>Linux. I haven't tested it on Windows yet. I've got a 3DLabs

Are the Linux drivers good for the X1? From what I can tell that can make
a large difference in the card performance.

I also got some feedback from someone that is using the X1 for 3D
Mechanical CAD and finite element analysis software and they think it is
excellent. They recently replaced their ATI Radeons with this, and
wouldn't use the Radeons anymore. But this is on a PC.

>Let me know if you have specific questions, or just wondered how they
>compare. Generally speaking, I'd say that the cards from all three
>vendors provide similar performance, with different cards performing
>better or worse for certain VMD representations and/or with features like
>stereo, 3-D texture mapping, etc.

I am currently looking to put together a workstation to perform some MD on
and visualisation using VMD. Most likely a dual or quad 2.4G Xeon. Most
of the viewing I do is either as line representations, VDW or Surf. And
the number of atoms can be rather large. Things struggle a bit on a O2 SGI
that I currently use.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Research Fellow
Department of Pharmaceutical Biology and Pharmacology
Victorian College of Pharmacy
Monash University
381 Royal Parade
Parkville VIC 3010