From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 10:11:15 CDT

Hi Will,
  Your VMD-L post bounced this morning, you have to be subscribed in order
to post (prevents spammers from taking over...)
In answer to your question, yes, we've been working on a new form of
programmer's guide which replaces the old one you've probably seen in
the past:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/doxygen/

Not everything one would want is there yet, but I'm slowly working on it
as time permits.

Regarding alpha-blended transparency:
  I've actually already implemented a multi-pass alpha-blended transparency
feature in VMD. It uses the Sun Global Alpha extension for efficiency.
The difficulty you'll run into in doing it without this extension is that
ALL of the vertex colors have to be re-specified in terms of the new alpha
value. In any case, if you checkout the code from CVS, you can see the
alpha-blended transparency code in the latest version. It is enabled at
runtime by an environment variable, VMDUSEGALPHA, when the global alpha
extension if found.

Regarding the use of the CAVE wand:
  Implementing a real GUI in the CAVE is going to be a bit of work.
It should be doable, but not the most fun thing you've ever done.
Once VMD 1.8.1 is out the door and I'm back to working on improving
features etc instead of fixing bugs, I may have time to extend the
capabilities of the CAVE wand buttons, Spaceballs, etc, so that they
can run arbitrary user scripts like "user add key" allows when running
the normal non-CAVE version of VMD on a workstation.

If you'll be here for the summer school, I can meet with you and we
can discuss the mods you guys have in mind.

Thanks,