From: Schreiner Eduard (eschrein_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 23:01:58 CST

if you're using the autoPSF plugin, then yes.

On Dec 3, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Jim Parker wrote:

> Hello,
> I am attempting to use autoPSF to generate a .psf file to associate
> with a .pdb for a DNA segment I want to analyze. The GUI based
> program that comes with vmd seems to be straight forward
>
> 1. Choose the .pdb file
> 2. Select topology files
> 3. Select an chain
> 4. Generate .psf
>
> When I attempt the above, I get an error "AutoPSF detected 32
> unparametrized components"
> and it lists the base pair names DT, DG, DA, and DC.

The residue names your pdb file has correspond to AMBER
topology.

> I assumed that I didn't have the right topology file.

correct

> So I found this list of CHARMM topology files
> http://www.ccl.net/chemistry/resources/messages/2001/11/29.006-dir/index.html
>
> which indicated to me I just need to include a file like
>
> (4) top_all27_na.rtf all hydrogen RTF for nucleic acids
>
> but, didn't work. I added every *.rtf that had _na_ in the name.
> Still didn't work.
> looking at the *_na.rtf files they define residues as GUA, ADE, CYT,
> and THY -- Do I have to rename each section prior to using AutoPSF?

yes. Note that atom names may be different too. I think, the names for
the heavy atoms
are same in AMBER and CHARMM, but the names of the hydrogen atoms are
different.
You could rename the corresponding residues, write a pdb file without
hydrogens,
and use autoPSF to add them back.

Also, check the following answer on namd-l:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l/10853.html

> Any help resolving these topology errors would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> --Jim Parker
> UTSA Physics and Astronomy

eddi