From: Dipesh Bhattarai (dipesh.bhattarai_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 10:27:22 CST

John,

Thank you for the links.

I do not have option to use CAVE or FreeVR related classes. We have a
VRPN server where all the input devices are connected and the
application connects to the server to request information about
specific devices that it is interested in. Currently, I am using an
Intersense IS-900 wand/gamepad.

My ultimate goal is to enable the features of standalone VMD in the
immersive environment. Currently, I am using one VRPNTracker and one
VRPNButton objects to encapsulate the information about position of
the wand and the statuses of the buttons on the wand. I am able to
select and move the molecule around. The outputs are not very smooth,
but that is separate calibration issue which is outside of the scope
of VMD. My main concern here is how to efficiently manage multiple
devices because I will be looking into adding other 3D devices such as
head tracker and joystick. I looked at UIVR class and found it had
features that might be helpful in that respect. If there are some code
snippets that shows how to use UIVR class, that will be very helpful.
I am not looking into subclassing.

Thanks,
Dipesh

--