From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 23:24:02 CST

Hi Luis,
I believe that what you're running into now is not a bug, but a feature.
Please let me explain.

There are two ways in which the autopsf gui is intended to be used.
Either you go through the dialogue boxes in order, step by step,
splitting the chains, inspecting them, and so on, *or* at the beginning
you click "I'm feeling lucky" and autopsf tries to guess what you wanted
to do. So you're creating a bit of extra work for yourself to go through
all of the steps and then click "I'm feeling lucky" -- really, you
should just at that point click "Create chains" and then finish the psf
creation manually.

Here is the catch, though -- if you walk through the autopsf gui step by
step, it'll present you with all of the chains that it finds, and you
can decide which ones you want. However, if you click "I'm feeling
lucky", then its behavior changes -- if it sees protein and/or nucleic
acid, it generates a "clean" structure, devoid of any
non-protein/nucleic acid residues present in the input structure. This
is a desirable behavior in many cases where one is doing high throughput
structure building, and thus is how "I'm feeling lucky" and the text
mode interface behave (the text interface allows this behavior to be
overridden with explicit flags specifying the segments to be
considered). Since you want to keep non-protein cofactors, though, you
should work through the gui step by step rather than clicking "I'm
feeling lucky".

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best,
Peter