From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 13:08:22 CDT

Hi,
  I'm forwarding Mike McCallum's note which bounced earlier today:

----- Forwarded message from owner-vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu -----

Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:03:29 -0700
Subject: Re: VMD on Solaris 2.x doesn't compile
From: "C. Michael McCallum" <cmmccallum_at_frontiernet.net>
To: vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu

I would second John's recommendation --- You can get free downloads of
solaris 2.8 and 2.9 from www.sun.com.

You need to register, but assuming that you are an academic, it's free.
  If you can't burn a CD, you can get copies sent to you for something
like $50.

I have been doing this for a year or two, and the upgrade is fairly
easy. I also have an Ultra10.

Cheers,

Mike
On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 07:52 US/Pacific, John Stone wrote:

> Hi,
> We haven't compiled VMD on Solaris 2.6 for quite a few years.
> I'd strongly recommend that you consider upgrading to Solaris 8
> if possible. In any case, if you wish to compile on 2.6 anyway,
> you'll probably have to disable the PTHREADS option. Also, you
> need to use the "bleeding edge" version of Tachyon in order to use
> the LIBTACHYON option, which I've got posted here:
> ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/group/johns/tachyon03072003.tar.gz
>
> You won't be able to take librt.* from a Solaris 7 box, that will
> cause you runtime problems like you already saw below. If you actually
> want the binary to run on 2.6, then you'll have to compile 100% of it
> on a 2.6 box.
>
> Let us know if you need more help.
>
> Thanks,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 01:45:53AM -0400, Prabhakar Reddy Gudla wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am trying to custom built VMD 1.8 from source on SUN Solaris 2.6 on
>> Ultra10. So far I have be able to:
>> * compile plugins w/o problems/errors
>> * 'make depend' in $VMD/src goes smoothly w/o any errors (few
>> warnings abt
>> undef in python header files)
>>
>> I am compiling for the following options:
>> SOLARIS2 OPENGL FLTKOPENGL ACTC FLTK TK IMD LIBTACHYON TCL PYTHON
>> PTHREADS
>> SILENT
>>
>> The error i get is:
>>
>> Compiling LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C --> LibTachyonDisplayDevice.o
>> "LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C", line 285: Error:
>> RT_PROJECTION_ORTHOGRAPHIC is not defined.
>> "LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C", line 286: Error: The function
>> "rt_camera_setup" must have a prototype.
>> "LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C", line 298: Error:
>> RT_PROJECTION_PERSPECTIVE is not defined.
>> "LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C", line 299: Error: The function
>> "rt_camera_setup" must have a prototype.
>> "LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C", line 325: Error: The function
>> "rt_directional_light" must have a prototype.
>> 5 Error(s) detected.
>> *** Error code 5
>> The following command caused the error:
>> echo "Compiling " LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C " --> "
>> LibTachyonDisplayDevice.o " ..."; \
>> CC -D__EXTENSIONS__ -mt -fast -xO3 -native -xarch=v8plusa
>> -D"sqrtf=sqrt" -D"cosf=cos" -D"sinf=sin" -D"fabsf=fabs"
>> -D"acosf=acos" -DARCH_SOLARIS2 -DVMDOPENGL -DVMDGRAPHICS -DVMDOPENGL
>> -DVMDFLTKOPENGL -DVMDGRAPHICS -DVMDACTC -DVMDIMD -DVMDLIBTACHYON
>> -DVMDPYTHON -DVMDTHREADS -DUSEPOSIXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DVMDSURF
>> -DVMDMSMS -DVMDISOSURFACE -DVMDTCL -DVMDTK -DVMDSTATICPLUGINS
>> -DVMDGUI -DVMDFLTK -I/usr/openwin/include -I../lib/actc
>> -I../lib/tachyon/src -I/usr/local/python/2.2/include/python2.2
>> -I/usr/local/tcl/include -I../plugins/include
>> -I../plugins/compile/lib_SOLARIS2/molfile -I/usr/include
>> -I../lib/fltk/include -I. -c LibTachyonDisplayDevice.C -o
>> ../SOLARIS2/LibTachyonDisplayDevice.o
> [...]

C. Michael McCallum
http://chem.cop.uop.edu/cmmccallum.html
Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry, UOP
mmccallum .at. uop . edu                (209) 946-2636 v  / (209)
946-2607 fax
----- End forwarded message -----