From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 10:02:58 CDT

Hi,
  In VMD a "frame" is a trajectory frame, not a movie/animation frame.
What you likely want to do is to use the movie maker plugin with the
"user defined" movie type, and write scripts that trace the
::MovieMaker::userframe variable for updates, doing the appropriate
rendering at each movie frame callback. This way you can perform
complex camera moves and similar operations within your scripts,
have control over the displayed trajectory frame, and so on.
There are two simple examples of how to do this posted on
the bottom of the vmd movie maker plugin documentation page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/vmdmovie/