From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 17:53:40 CDT

Hi Lubos,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 11:09:38PM +0200, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> are you sure ALL platforms support real OpenGL drivers? you'll maybe recall
> our conversation from past time, we were talking about NetBSD... i'm not
> sure whether it supports direct opengl, but i don't think so... but i don't
> think anything about it, so i could be (and probably i am) wrong...

Well, while they lack hardware acceleration, all of the platforms using
current versions of XFree86 should come with a working set of libraries
and some degree of DRI support, which was not the case several years ago.
I would be surprised if this is in fact not the case with all of the free
BSD Unix derivatives already. I don't plan to eliminate the MESA build flag
from VMD by the way, I just plan to stop building binaries with Mesa on
platforms where its of little value.

Thanks,