From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 13:46:26 CDT

Hi Michael,
  I'm working on adding support for arbitrary extensible
per-atom, per-residue, and per-molecule data fields into the
VMD molfile plugin interface, followed by support in the VMD
atom selection language, graphical user interfaces, and so on.
I don't know how hard it will be for me to support these features
for the AMBER prmtop reader plugin, but I would expect that
these could be supported. The ability to order the sections in
any order shouldn't be much of a problem, but the existing plugin
wasn't designed to allow this, as it is a derivative from
much older C-based AMBER prmtop readers that had a fixed ordering
assumption.

The issue you mention with the variation in format specifier for the
title string should be minor and trivial to fix. I would be happy
to help work on addressing these issues with the time that I have
available. If you can provide sets of test files on the biofs, that
would be an excellent way to get the ball rolling.

Going forward, it would be great if someone from the AMBER team
was willing to help us maintain the various AMBER reader plugins for VMD,
since someone with a strong AMBER background would be more familiar with the
minutiae of these files than I would be. I know that nobody has free
time coming out of their ears, but it would definitely benefit the AMBER
user community to make these plugins a bit more bulletproof and significantly
more flexible. I often find it difficult to procure test files when
I'm singlehandedly maintaining these plugins, so just having one AMBER expert
that's committed to helping out with developing, testing, planning
this stuff would be great.