From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 10:29:08 CDT

You need to use MSMS or the volmap commands I suggested.
Surf won't work because it will create internal cavity surfaces, and
it won't perform well with very large models. The images we create
using the water boxes are all done either using the MSMS representation
or the "volmap" commands. For very large models, only the "volmap"
method is usable. To get shadows etc, we usually render these images
using the Tachyon ray tracer (see File->Render), not just using
the on-screen displayed image.

Let me know if you still need more help with this.