From: Ben Eisenbraun (bene_at_crystal.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 24 2009 - 15:50:58 CDT

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 03:02:20PM -0500, Robert Brunner wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Jorgen Simonsen wrote:
>
> >I have compiled VMD for mac OS 10.5.8 and I have added the following
> >to my .bashrc
> >alias vmd open -a vmd.app
> >
> >but it does not recognize an input pdb-file
>
> The OS X "open" command does not pass command-line parameters, so that
> won't work for your purposes.

Per the man page, the 'open -a' method should work. The examples section
shows:

  "open -a /Applications/TextEdit.app '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/foo.txt'"
  opens the document in the application specified (in this case, TextEdit).

The VMD.app bundle is built a bit oddly, which may be a culprit in this
not working.

-b

--
| Ben Eisenbraun                              | Tools Sysadmin         |
| Structural Biology Grid                     | http://sbgrid.org      |