From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 07:55:30 CDT

Hi,
  See the CUDA-related release notes here:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.7/cuda.html

I'd start by testing with one of our pre-compiled VMD versions
and see if they detect your GPUs for CUDA.

You need to have up-to-date drivers. If you have old drivers
VMD will not see the cards. If VMD isn't seeing the cards, check
/proc/driver/nvidia/version and make sure you've got 185 series
drivers or later, for example:
% cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 190.16 Fri Jul 17 15:47:51 PDT 2009

For your self-compiled VMD builds, since you didn't say which version
of CUDA you compiled with, you'll need to make sure that your drivers
are new enough for the version of CUDA you compiled with. For CUDA 2.2
that'd be the 185 series drivers. For CUDA 2.3, you need the bleeding
edge 190.x series drivers like the one I show above.