From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 11:27:08 CDT

Tom,
  That changelog appears to be something done by Suse, not by
the NetPBM authors. You'll note that ppmtompeg is indeed included
in the standard NetPBM source distribution:
  http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/netpbm/netpbm-10.35
  http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppmtompeg.html

I'd remove the broken RPM version provided by Suse and compile it from
source for yourself. I assume the Suse people removed ppmtompeg out of
fear of patents or some other legal-related issue. Most distros have
removed all video/audio codecs by default for these reasons, requiring
users to jump through hoops to fix their deficient default install.
In the present case, it's probably just best to compile yourself and
throw away whatever modified version of NetPBM the Suse people provide
by default. It shouldn't be difficult to compile from source, besides,
compiling from source builds character :-)

  johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu