From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 07:46:20 CDT

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 11:23 +0200, Jorgen Simonsen wrote:
> Hi all,

hi jorgen,

> I have installed a newer version of VMD 1.8.7beta2 on my labtop
> running Ubuntu but I have some problems getting python to work within
> VMD. The former command "gopython" is returned as invalid command name

yes. because this (now obsolete) beta version was compiled
without python support. if you use a beta version, please always
use the latest beta and upgrade to the release as soon as it
is available. thanks.

> and if I type "python" it uses the python version 2.6.2 which does
> not seem to recognize the different modules from VMD.

for portability reasons, VMD ships its own python distribution,
so it won't work with the locally installed python unless you
compile VMD yourself to use that version of python. the upcoming
version of VMD includes the ability to compile a text mode version
of VMD as a module that can be loaded into a general python interpreter,
but, again, the compatibility restrictions apply.

cheers,
   axel.