From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 11:15:44 CST

Dear Dan,
  The existing versions of VMD don't use the Linux kernel mode
joystick interface just yet. I had looked into this a couple of
years ago but since the Linux joystick system was going through some
major changes back then, I had decided to skip it until things started
to solidify a bit more. Since more than a year has passed since the
last time I looked into it, I'll see if things are in a better state now.
If so, we could probably add direct Linux joystick support into VMD 1.8.1,
but for VMD 1.8 the only way to use a joystick on Linux would be via VRPN.
The existing Linux versions of VMD do support directly connected Spaceball
controllers, but this is done independently from the Linux kernel drivers.
Let us know if you have more questions on using Spaceballs, Joysticks,
VRPN etc with VMD.

Thanks,