From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 16:34:45 CDT

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 13:36 -0500, Lalit wrote:

lalit,

> However, when I wanted to see the 'protein' (within/around the lipid
> bilayer):
>
> i) As Coloring Method: Structure & Drawing Method: NewCartoon I was
> NOT able to visualize it.
> ii) Also, with Drawing Method: Cartoon; NewRibbons, Ribbons,
> Tube,Trace; it wasn't visuable (A faint/very small part/structure was
> showing on the openGL).
> iii) Though it was showing the full protein's structure in Licorie,
> cpk, vdw, points, Hbonds, Dynamicbonds, Bonds,Line; drawing methods.

please provide a saved state file with the corresponding .pdb file(s)
that demonstrates the bad behavior, so that we can track it down and
investigate who/what is to blame.

one potential problem is the fact that secondary structure assignment
is done by calling the (external) stride program which tends to react
rather sensitive when processing non-amino acid or other unusual
residues. so you may want to try using a selection for only the protein
and then use the "NewCartoon" representation on it. and then additional
representations for the rest. or you can even set the secondary
structure assignment manually for residues where this has failed.

> Which one do not want!
>
> I am using VMD 1.8.6 version. Both RedHat Enterprise 4 as well as
> Windows version is showing exactly the same problem.

OS should not be the origin of your problem.

cheers,
   axel.