From: MyLinkka (mylinkka_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 05:14:34 CDT

Hi,

I'm eager to try out the new Beta version. 2 days ago, I installed 1.8.7
beta 2 on both my laptop and
desktop PC. Beta 2 crashes on the laptop but worked on the PC. Both
computers have Nvidia graphics
card (FX2700M and Geforce 8600 GT). Today I installed the latest beta
3 on both. Sadly beta 3
crashed on both computers! Before install beta2, I didn't install any
software or update drivers.
That's why I turn to this mailing list, cause I think it is almost for
sure an issue from vmd.

The symptom is the same. After starting vmd, first the console window
showed, it seems fine and
it listed information and capability of my graphics card. Then the 3D
window popped up, I could
see the 3D texts and the axes at the corner. (my feeling it the OpenGl
context and scene had been
created without problem.) Finally it's the turn of the main control
windows, I can see the window
frame, but before the contents (menus,buttons) could be seen the program
crashed.

on my laptop, the system report a "the memory could not be 'read'"
error. On the PC,
an error happend at offset 0x00028c0d in ntdll.dll.

BTW, vmd 1.8.6 work perfect on both computers.

Could anyone point me what to do? Is there a way to generate a startup
log file to address the error
source?

thanks!

ting