From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 14:09:40 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  I've just posted VMD 1.8.7 beta 2 for download.
I've posted binaries for all of the mainstream platforms
and more will become available in the next beta release.

Beta 2 is not quite feature-complete yet.
A few items we're debugging are still turned off in this version,
but it is largely representative of what the final release will
look like. Many bugs have been fixed since beta 1, so we urge people
that have downloaded beta 1 to switch to beta 2 at this time.

Beta 2 is compiled with CUDA GPU acceleration support for
32-bit and 64-bit Linux (x86), and for MacOS X 10.5.x (x86).
In order to use the CUDA features of the new versions of VMD,
you will need to install the latest NVIDIA drivers for
CUDA 2.2, as described on this page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.7/cuda.html

I plan to add CUDA support to the Windows versions of VMD
in the next beta release if all goes well.

If you have trouble downloading, installing, or running
the beta versions, please let me know. We are updating the
platform-specific release notes as people give feedback
on the new test versions:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.8.7/docs.html