From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 10:17:57 CDT

Olaf,
  You've stumbled upon a bit of outdated documentation. This feature
was removed many years ago as it created undesirable dependencies
between atom selection objects within VMD and the command interpreter
state. This functionality was removed in version 1.74 of AtomSel.C
(if you have the VMD CVS tree handy). With some careful engineering
it might be possible to reintroduce this kind of @selection
feature. One part that's problematic in general is that since VMD
supports multiple text interpreters concurrently, the direct
"$variable" boolean list selection could not be supported now like
it was in the past since it's unclear which command interpreter
context it would reference.
(e.g. if a boolean list variable existed in multiple interpreter contexts,
 which one does the atom selection parser end up using?)

Cheers,
  John