From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 01:20:53 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, it is possible to build VMD with static linkage, but it
will be somewhat tricky. For your application in particular, you'll
first have to have a statically linkable version Tcl compiled and
ready for use. Once you've got Tcl compiled, then you'll need to
build the VMD plugins for static-linkage only. You can probably hack
the 64-bit linux compile target and simply disable the shared object
plugin builds. Once you get the plugins compiled as a static library,
building VMD itself with only static linkage will just be a matter of
tweaking a few options with the 'configure' script, disabling all of
the optional features that you don't need. I'd start with one of the
"linux.text" configurations in vmd/Makefile, and then tweak from there.
I don't currently have convenient access to an XT for compiling VMD,
otherwise I'd offer to help do the build for you. Let us know if you
have questions. If anyone else has compiled other non-trivial packages
for the Cray XT, feel free to chime in...