From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 29 2009 - 16:15:05 CDT

Hi,
  When you say "define a box" I assume you mean compute the maxima and
minima of the atom coordinates, yes? If so, then try this:
  set sel [atomselect top "protein"]
  measure minmax $sel

If you need the box padded out by the atom radii, in the newer
VMD 1.8.7 version you can use:
  set sel [atomselect top "protein"]
  measure minmax $sel -withradii

If you want to _draw_ a box on the screen, you can use the minima/maxima
in conjunction with the "draw" or "graphics" commands to do this. See
the VMD User's Guide.