From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 11:12:31 CDT

The main problem is that CHARMM is now using extened atom types with up to
8 characters, e.g.:

       7295 MANN 1 AMAN C1 CC3162 0.340000

If I force CHARMM to write normal PSF without EXT than the atom type is
truncated and this might cause other problems. I need to post a message to
the NAMD mailing list and ask whether NAMD can handle extended atom types.
Otherwise, I will have to manually rename the atom types in the topology
and parameter files.

Gianluca

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 23:41 -0700, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
>> I am trying to solvate a protein using the solvate plugin of VMD. The PSF
>> (X-PLOR format) and PDB were produced with CHARMM. I get the following
>> error:
>>
>> vmd > solvate protein_xplor.psf protein.pdb -minmax {{-65 -65 -65} {65 65 65}}
>> reading structure from psf file protein_xplor.psf
>> Error processing bonds
>>
>> I'm using vmd version 1.8.6 on linux.
>>
>> I have uploaded the files here:
>>
>> http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/Files/protein_xplor.psf
>>
>> http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/Files/protein.pdb
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> try building a "normal" psf (w/o EXT). the readpsf command in psfgen
> seems to be not yet updated for handling newer style .psf files.
> work has been underway to interface psfgen to the molfile plugins,
> some of which in turn have been improved to read in more fields
> including angles and dihedrals. but as far as i can tell, it is not
> completed yet. i just tried compiling that variant of psfgen from
> the cvs and there are still some bugs. perhaps john knows more.
>
> cheers,
> axel.
>

>> Gianluca

> Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu http://www.cmm.upenn.edu
> Center for Molecular Modeling -- University of Pennsylvania
> Department of Chemistry, 231 S.34th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6323
> tel: 1-215-898-1582, fax: 1-215-573-6233, office-tel: 1-215-898-5425

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
                     +1 (206) 685 4435
                     +1 (206) 714 4303
                     http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/

Postdoc at the Department of Bioengineering