From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 11:27:20 CDT

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:15 -0400, Krishnan, Marimuthu wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I would like to calculate the local packing density around a methyl group (or a side chain) of a protein.
> The MD trajectory, which was generated using NAMD, of this protein is available. I would appreciate if
> someone could direct me to some existing codes/scripts that can do this task.
>
> I would be happy to write a simple code to do this job but I need some clarifications on this topic.
> To compute local packing density, I need to know the vdW radii of the chemical group and its neighbors.
> I am wondering about contributions from bonded atoms (There is no van der Waals interactions between
> atoms involved in a covalent bond, angle and dihedral). The questions are:
> (1) How do I get vdW radii of the chemical group( or atoms) and its neighbors?

VMD has deliberately written without any chemical knowledge and
guesswork. it will process whatever information you feed it and
otherwise will use more-or-less useful defaults. you can access
atom data via functions generated with the atomselect command.
those can set and retrieve per atom properties, including radius,
mass, charge, name, type, element and so on.

> (2) How do I take care of bonded pair of atoms in the computation of local packing density?

please don't mix up vdw interactions and vdw radii. bonded atoms still
have vdw radii, it is just that the vdw interaction is excluded, to
simplify the parametrization of bonded interactions.

cheers,
   axel.