From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 23:44:35 CDT

Hi,
  For performance and memory consumption reasons, VMD uses a
fixed-sized bond list for each atom. The standard VMD builds
limit the maximum number of bonds for a single atom to 12.
If you have a genuine need to define more than 12 bonds for a
single atom, VMD can be built to allow a larger maximum
value, by editing the definition of the MAXATOMBONDS macro
at the top of Atom.h and recompiling the source code.

What kind of structure are you working with such that you need
so many bonds?