From: Irene Newhouse (einew_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 03:56:52 CDT

"Distance" in VMD means not the distance between the donor H & acceptor atom, but

between the heavy atom to which the donor H is attached & the acceptor atom, so you might

not have gone to large enough distances. Also,

you need to create a separate hbond representation [choose it where you select line, cartoon, etc].

in order to display them. It's my experience that there are far fewer h-bonds than you

suspect from crystal structures, unless you're working with a neutron diffraction structure

that has actually imaged the H. Being close enough to h-bond does not guarantee that the

H will be situated so as to form the proper angle with the two heavy atoms.

Irene Newhouse