From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 09:05:07 CDT

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 09:02 +0100, Dan Lussier wrote:
> I just wanted to flag up a potential problem with the OS X intel
> binary of the most up to date version of VMD.

dan,

please be a little bit more precise. are you talking about the
release version 1.8.6 or one of the alpha test versions?

> I have tried downloading it a couple of times without success. When I

well, if you do the identical (=correct) steps, a computer should
produce identical results. so repeating the same thing without
modifications _should_ produce the same result. ;)

> try to mount the disk image I get an error warning that there is a
> problem and then once the disk image is mounted the app simply doesn't

well, _what_ is the problem that is being reported.

> run. If I try mounting and re-mounting the same disk image a second

the installation instructions say that you have to drag and
drop the application to an appropriate location. did you do that?

> time I get an error ("Incorrect codec" ) and can't even get it to mount.

hmm... that looks more like there is something misconfigured in your
machine rather than

> I only have a single Mac here so I can't try it on another machine but
> my hardware specs are fairly typical (if it is significant to the
> problem):

it is very unlikely that it is a hardware problem, but rather something
on the software side. whether this is pertaining to VMD or your setup,
that is very hard to determine.

cheers,
   axel.