From: Ramya Gamini (ramyabhargavi_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 20:36:34 CST

Hey !Would like to add:

The Kyte& Doolittle (1982) hydropathy index uses water to vacuum transfer
free energy to assign a hydrophobicity to each amino acid.

The Goldman, Engelman and Steitz (GES) scale (1986) reflects the free energy
cost for transferring amino acids from water to non-aqueous environment of
dielectric 2 (reflecting inside membrane or core of protein)

Eisenberg scale : normalized average of five different scales (1982 b)

von Heijne scale (vH) has statistic origin; derived based on analysis of
transmembrane segments from bacterial inner membrane proteins

Wimley-white (2001): host-guest peptide partitioning into n-octanol (this is
a whole residue hydrophobicity scale whereas all other scales are based on
amino acid side chains)

A table of hydrophobicity index is provided in the book referred below:
ref: computational methods for protein structure prediction and modeling
(authors: Xing Xu, Dong Xu
)

hope this helps.
Ramya