From: Nicola Giacche' (nicolag_at_chimfarm.unipg.it)
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 09:01:08 CST

Hi Brittany,
the problem is that when I use the pbc unwrap command in the whole
trajectory, the results is a "broken" system with wrong bounds etc...
then I would apply the command only to select frames... and for a
trajectory of 5ns I can manually select the interval of "jumping" frames
(I have about twenty intervals to select), but for longer trajectory I
would like to use an automatic command or a script.
If there is a command in vmd able to recognize, in the trajectory, the
jumping frames it will be perfect for me. I will make a script with
first the recognition of frames and then I will apply the pbc unwrap
command only to the selected jumping frames.
Does exist something like this?

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

I am not sure. The way pcb unwrap works is that it bases it on the previous
frame - if an atom moves more than a certain amount between frames, it
assumes it has jumped. So if you wanted to avoid processing all of the
frames, you could split up the trajectory into pieces with one normal frame
before each of the jumping frames and process them individually. I am
guessing that system size is the reason you don't want to process the whole
trajectory together?

Brittany