From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 14:58:22 CST

Irene,
  If you've just downloaded/installed VMD 1.8.7 alpha 57, you should not have
SCIM problems anymore. If you do, please let me know. Older VMD 1.8.7
test versions were still being built with Tcl 8.4, so they had the SCIM
issues like VMD 1.8.6 did. The latest VMD test builds use Tcl/Tk 8.5.x
so the SCIM issues should now be gone. As I said above, if you encounter
any SCIM problem with the latest test version (1.8.7 alpha 57) let me know
ASAP.