From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2009 - 15:01:32 CST

Hi,
  While I've got PNG code in Tachyon, I haven't looked at what
would need to be changed for alpha channel support yet. Regarding
volumetric coloring: I've almost got this working, I just have a
few minor bugs to fix in the VMD side of things to get this going.
I plan to have this fixed for the release of VMD 1.8.7.