From: Dr. Daniel James White PhD (dan_at_chalkie.org.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 02:31:52 CST

Hi,

I am using an ATI RADEON 8500 64 MB under red hat 8, with the xig.com
summit Xserver (not expensive).
I use stereo graphics crystal eyes glasses with a stereo graphics
stereo enable adapter and emitter box. The enabler adapter fits between
the graphics card video out and the monitor cable and takes the synch
signal to the emitter box. The ower for the emitter box is taken from
the keyboard bus.

This combination gives full quad buffered stereo and all the open GL
extensions you are likely to need, and it is fast! works great for VMD,
PyMol, Bodil, VTK......
check out xig.com for their supported cards.....the ATI radeon series
are cheap and at least mine works a treat.

I get 1600x1200 @ 95Hz or 1280x1024 @ 100 Hz, or lower resolutions with
refresh rates up to 130 Hz on a sony G520 21" monitor

cheers

Dan
On Monday, Mar 3, 2003, at 18:07 Europe/Helsinki, Joseph Edward Curtis
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone suggest a reasonable graphic card for use with VMD under
> LINUX? I would prefer an OpenGL card if all the bells and whistles
> will
> work in VMD (unlike the NVidia card mentioned in the list).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph

> ********
> Joseph E. Curtis, Ph.D. Office: 949-824-9921
> Department of Chemistry Cell Phone: 949-235-0262
> 3214 Natural Sciences I Fax: 949-824-8571
> University of California E-mail: curtisj_at_uci.edu
> Irvine, California 92697-2025 Chem 1A Web Page:
> http://eee.uci.edu/02f/40048/
> ********

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Cell Biology
Department of biological and environmental science
University of Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä
Finland
+358 (0)14 260 4183 (work)