From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 09:04:18 CST

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Andrew James Bennett wrote:

AJB> I recently updated my laptop with Suse 11.1 32-bit and installed vmd by
AJB> following the installation instructions (which i have done many times
AJB> before). With working ATI graphics drivers with 3d acceleration, i
AJB> configured the installation with LINUX OPENGL. However when i come to
AJB> load the program, i don't get a vmd screen at all. Do you have any
AJB> suggestions for this error? Also is there a correct way to completely

andrew,
please pay close attention to the linux release notes.
this is most likely one of the known problems listed there.
please try to figure out which of the solutions mentioned
would apply to your situation and if it is something new,
please provide the information required to track it down
(also mentioned in the release notes somewhere, IIRC).

AJB> remove vmd from the system so i can cleanly reinstall it?

using rm -r on the directory that you specify on install.

a more sophisticated solution would be to repackage the
binaries into an rpm and then use rpm/yum/apt to install
and uninstall. i've done this before and have posted
example spec files for that in the VMD biofs.

cheers,
   axel.