From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 20:50:03 CST

Michael,
  At present, none of the external renderers are able to display
3-D texture mapped surfaces, so they are rendered as solid white
surfaces. I'm working on adding this capability to Tachyon for
the next version of VMD. I'll let people know when I have a
beta version posted with this capability. I know many people are
waiting for it already...