From: haosheng_at_hec.utah.edu
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 15:39:43 CST

Hi All:

I met a problem which is probably common as I read the threads in the
mailing list. But I couldn't find a solution.

I loaded two exactly same .pdb file in VMD 1.8.6 and change the
representation to Cartoon or NewCartoon. The only difference is that
one protein has been moved. The result is that one shows up normally
but another has a 'partial' Cartoon structure and a 'partial' ribbon
structure. Some time it just shows up a ribbon-like representation.
Every other conditions are the same, only one of the protein has been
moved.

This happens in many Linux machines I've tried and also Windows
system. I seems it always works perfectly with ribbons representation.

On Windows, there shows up a error message:
"stride_WIN32.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We
are sorry for the inconvenience."
and also an error messege on vmd console:
"Stride::read_stride_record: unable to read output file from Stride"

Graphic card is Nvidia 8400GS.

On Linux, there shows no error message, simply shows a wrong
representation with 'half ribbon half cartoon'. And where it is a
ribbon or a cartoon is almost random. The GPU is Nvidia 8600GT.

THANKs,
Haosheng