From: Ondrej Marsalek (ondrej.marsalek_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 12:40:26 CST

axel,

thanks again, now it seems that i have really encountered what you
described. for reference, my system is ubuntu 8.10 64-bit. vmd was
compiled using g++. i do have intel compilers as well, but did not set
the ICC flag in vmd configuration, so i hope i really got g++.

i still don't understand why it happens only with some data, but i am
not sure i want to understand that. often (in my intended use always)
vmd (or rather the memory system) does not free any memory after
deleting molecules. this memory gets "recycled" for further data
loaded into vmd, so the total memory footprint of vmd is the maximum
use of the given run.

while i agree that this is strictly speaking not a memory leak and
probably not caused by vmd code, it is still something i would like
to get rid of. vmd is not the only thing running on my system :-) i am
not sure it is worth playing with my system libraries, though. any
other options?

regards,
ondrej